clinch

Hisorical Links
Tazewell County Historical Society
Wikipedia
Photo Tour
Our Town

Located along the banks of the Upper Fork of the Clinch River, Richlands evolved from the land grant of 1785 by Patrick Henry, Governor of Virginia. Our name reflects the abundance of “rich land”.

Beginning as a farming community, the area was quickly recognized for its natural resources and coal reserves. With the arrival of Norfolk and Western Railroad, enterprising capitalists understood the potential for our area. In the 1890s, the Clinch Valley Coal & Iron Company began to develop Richlands in hopes of capitalizing on readily available coal, iron and timber. The town was incorporated in 1892.